Sunday, November 16, 2008

Grandma, Christmas and Recyling

My grandmother was the dearest woman. She died when I was 25 and I will never forgive myself for being so distant from her the last year of her life. Grandma had few possessions but was the most generous person I have ever known. When she died she had very little left to pass along to her grandchildren. I cherish every item I have that was once hers. However that desire to keep the small treasures she passed along to me is in complete juxtaposition with my desire to clean up and organize my life-with the goal being to dispose of every unnecessary item in my home. I want to live simply and minimize. So arose the question of what to do with grandmothers old spools. When I received these old spools they were in a box of sewing notions and quite full of 50 year old thread. I used the thread. But the old spools were simply too charming to toss.

I chose to turn the old spools into Christmas ornaments using odds and ends I found in my craft drawer. I can't decide if they are garish or clever but either way they will grace my tree this year and for years to come. I love you grandma.

No comments: