Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Farewell My Bella

My heart is most certainly bigger than my brain as is evidenced by my recent failure as a rescue dog adopter. We adopted Bella in May. She was sweet and silly and precious. Bella seemed like the perfect dog and a well needed companion for our dear Molly. And-get this- Bella was rescued just hours before she was going to be euthanized. That very fact sealed the deal. I was a hero. Fast forward two months to when the first attack happened. Bella viciously attacked Molly. It took what seemed like hours to separate the two dogs from their very real, very scary, brawl. When it was over I was shaken, and Molly was bleeding from two neck wounds. I was terrified but once I separated the dogs, cleaned Molly up and recovered from the shock, I managed to convince my neophyte brain this was a normal part of having two dogs.


It was a while until the next attack happened. Over the following weeks I learned how to pull Bella away from Molly and I thought I had learned to decompress the situation. Often weeks would go by between attacks. What I didn't notice was the stress level in our house steadily rising-as I gradually stopped trusting Bella. We were walking on eggshells and all the while never noticing how fearful Molly had become. I also never noticed how I was afraid to pet Molly for fear it would bring on another jealous attack.

Poor Bella-she just wanted to be loved. And we did love her. The children loved her and my husband thought she was the best thing since sliced bread (although he still complained loudly about muddy dog prints and barking).

The end came on the night when with out thinking, I reached down to pet Molly and Bella attacked so fiercely that my husband and I could barely restrain her. And in the rumble she bit my husband on the nose. We know she bit in the confusion of the moment, and it wasn't a terrible bite, but it was time to face the stark reality that one of the children could be caught between the battling dogs and that wasn't a chance I was willing to take.

Thank goodness for the under appreciated rescuers at our rescue group-they have taken Bella back and are actively searching for a home that it is better match for her. For now I will stay off my soapbox about the over breeding of dogs and the countless dogs that are just set loose each year (like Bella), abused, neglected and finally with no family to love them, euthanized.

Bella we miss you and you will always be a part of our family.

No comments: