Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Big Foot-Little Footprint



Let me preface this by saying I AM NOT bragging. But I am really pleased with myself. Our family has been working very hard to recycle everything we possibly can. We have always felt recycling was a no brainier but we only made an effort to recycle what the trash company collected each week (which wasn't much). A "green" friend of my husband once bragged that she only threw out a small sized bag of trash each week, recycling everything else. I remember thinking "yeah whatever" but it planted a seed in my head.

Currently we recycle a lot-our real goal is to use less but in the meantime we try to recycle every bit of glass, plastic, metal, and paper, batteries, light bulbs, etc in our home. I have had bad composting experiences and I killed all the worms in my worm farm-but I will try again...which leads me to my original point.

Last week we didn't have any trash. OK I am not being perfectly honest-I did throw out a bag of neighborhood trash-things tossed out by some joy riding teens-but I didn't put out any trash from our home. Yea us! And again in honesty I'll admit the kitchen trash can was about 1/3 full and the various other cans around the house had a wee bit of trash-but nothing worth carrying to the curb. I think this was our first ever no-trash week. I hope there are many more to come.

While searching for an image to accompany my post I found the following designer trash bags...I'll leave the commentary to you.


No comments: